Wednesday, November 3, 2010

How to make spaghetti!



 


 For this assignment we were asked to draw or show how to make spaghetti without using words.  This task was very similar to that of the lawn care assignment.  When drawing out the process we had to make sure that there were no words used and that anyone would be able to understand the meaning of an action or a picture.  I found that it was easiest to write out the steps needed to make spaghetti.  Although the process of boiling water and using specific pans may seem easy to say or depict, there were also a bunch of little ideas that a person may need to understand.  I found that it was not as easy as I intended for it to be. 

In my pictures, I first started off by showing a table setting and the time of day in which spaghetti may be made, at 6pm, prime dinner time.  Though it was not specifically stated that spaghetti can only be made at 6 o'clock, it was just a suggestion. 

In the next few boxes I decided to separate the supplies needed.  I did this by using a box for food and a box for materials, such as pots, pans, and spoons.  I also showed what other appliances would be needed in the next boxes and what should be done with those appliances; such as turning on the stove and using the sink to fill the pot with water.

After I tried to show the process of boiling water, and continued to show what the boiling process looked like so one would know that boiling water consists of bubbling water.   Then I proceeded to show the specific brand of spaghetti common to most, Barilla, being poured into the pot.  I decided to show a timer to show the amount of time that it typically takes for a pot of spaghetti to cook.  I tried to show when the timer went off by using the common idea of music notes and the bright stars and jagged lines to show that something was happening in the picture--the idea that a loud noise was being made to alert someone.

When drawing my diagram I found that I used alot of the same concepts; the alarm, showing things being put places, and arrows for movement of objects.  It was all very simple and similar because when making something I found that one tends to use similar repetative movements.

I am unsure though if my diagrams split up into different pictures is more or less confusing ( I really just couldn't fit the whole process on one sheet of paper and found it easier to divide each into sections for the drawings of steps.)  I also do not know if it would have been easier for someone to understand if I were to have used arrows showing which direction the steps went in or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment